Frosh week has been constantly happening all day all night since I moved in last Sunday, which seriously seems like a million years ago. Right away I found myself sitting in the common room with my floor mates, watching them play a drinking game of Kings...at 2:00pm. Great first impression eh?
Shortly after I managed to get a group of my floor mates out into the sunlight to find some food, even though my tummy was so full of butterflies that I didn't even feel hungry. Somehow we got separated and I ended up only with Andrew and Sophie from my floor, when I ran into Zac. Zac and I took this opportunity to show each other our rooms, although mine was still full of boxes so his room looked much bigger. His room still looks much bigger because I have tons and tons of stuff!
On Sunday night (trying to remember all the way back to Sunday is proving to be very difficult) I participated in a frosh event called Fed Fest which every faculty participated in. On the walk to the concert grounds I chatted with a few girls and we decided to stick together for the crazy concert. Only one girl from the group of about six girls I'm still friends with, and her name is Joanie. She's a pretty redhead (naturally blond), and she's french from New Brunswick but speaks really good english.
During the concert I met up with Zac, and we actually left before the main performers came on stage even though we had been there for hours. We were extremely pooped! It was very strange getting ready for bed that night. I tried to hold it off as long as I could as there was "partying" going on in Thompson, and I wanted to make friends as desperately as everyone else. The sixth floor is known as the party floor and their tiny common room had about 35 people in it, making it the hottest room ever. Joanie (who lives in Thompson 19th floor) and I couldn't stand it so I didn't stay long.
Monday I spent the day at Calypso Water Park. Me, Joanie, Katrina, Victoria, Donna Lea and Danielle stayed together and went on some crazy water slides. One funny thing about the Telfer Frosh group is that you can clearly see the big gap between high school and university. For one thing, in high school you don't swear. The teachers get mad at you, and it just isn't done. University? You're expected to swear like the "f" word is your new best friend. Our Telfer Frosh chant? The older student leaders yell out to get out attention, "Attitude check?" and we reply, "Fu*k you!" "Attitude check?" "Fu*k you!" and then they say, "Eat..." and we say "Sh*t!" It's very...glamourous. Also our "campy" songs that we sing on the bus rides to places aren't those cute little ones I learned in camp a few years back...
Monday night was the comedy night. After that Zac told me he was at a drag show, wasn't too sure what that was, so I made the mistake of dragging my frosh girlfriends up to see it. Now I know what a drag show is, and so does Zac, and he wasn't too impressed.
Tuesday morning I had my Telfer School of Management information session. After that I met up with my mentor, who is in HRM, and he toured me around the campus and a little bit of the market for good food places. Him and the other 1st year student with us are the only HR people I have met so far; we are a small bunch. Tuesday afternoon I gave Zac some company while he went and took care of financial stuff and we also went grocery shopping to make an actual meal that night since our eating habits had gone down the drain. I was supposed to do a boat cruise that night as well, but it ended up raining like crazy.
This morning was my first class! Social Context of Business. Right after that class I had the luxury of just staying in the same massive lecture room for Intro to Business Management. This fun morning was followed by an even more fun afternoon (sarcasm). I proceeded to wait in the line for my U-Pass (bus pass we paid for which was included in tuition) for THREE AND ONE HALF HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!! Zac was amazing and waited in line with me even though he had already picked up his, but honestly, I am not looking forward to picking up my U-Pass every year for the next four years. After that? I waited in line again for another 45 minutes to buy my extremely expensive and heavy textbooks.
But today did have a good turnaround. After math class with an asian professor who can't speak english, I got ready to go out to the clubs in Quebec! It was a Frosh event, and Victoria, Joanie and I went together and had fun dancing with all the Telfer business kids (we were the only ones there). We're a crazy group and everyone is so energetic...but then again, it is the first week of school.
I miss and love everyone!
xo
Janice


Hi sweetie. Thanks for sharing. Sounds that you got off to a good start.
ReplyDeleteIf the Asian professor dude is too difficult consider a tutor ASAP... at least find out options.
Zac sounds like he is giving you good support... thanks Zac.
Take care all
Love
Mommie
Hi Mommie,
DeleteI think so! So far it's been good. The asian dude may be a problem, like we thought Mrs. Rusu may be but she turned out to be okay, but I agree so I just texted my mentor asking what kind of tutoring program there is. He is :).
I love you!