I hope you enjoy my exciting year at the University of Ottawa :)

Wednesday, 23 January 2013

Two Weeks to Go!

Two weeks until what?!

HOME!!!

I do have 2 mid-terms and some assignments before then...but once those are out of the way, I'm home free! Yay!! And then FIJI!

I was in a bad mood today, so if Zac read's this he'll find what I'm about to say contradictory...but, life is good! Lots to look forward to!

Speaking of people, (I had to find some sort of transition into this new topic), I have noticed that my floor has settled down in terms of people. We started out as a floor that consisted of a few groups.


  • The "In" Group: this group consisted mainly of the out-going drinkers who generally seemed to prioritize friends over school.
  • The "Half-In Half-Out" Group: I was apart of this group. I wasn't comfortable entirely with the "In" group, or the "Out" group. So I guess I was in-between. We wanted some fun, but also some peace and quiet for study time. 
  • The "Out" Group: these people generally hid in their rooms. Because of this, I didn't know some people existed for quite a while. It would be that awkward moment where you're in an elevator  with someone you don't recognize, and you both get off on the 13th floor, and you're like "oh, hey, we live together?"There were also people who tried desperately to feel apart of the "In" group.
Overtime five people have left. One of them hated nearly everyone on the floor (called security on some of us many time), one of them just couldn't make it through University, one of them was home sick, one of them was the loudest guy on the floor, and so on.

As people left, people also started to take a step out of their comfort zone and show their faces in common areas. The harsh lines around groups started to soften and blend in with the other groups. New people began to replace the ones that had left. This joined the original floor #13 people together to help welcome the new people. I've noticed one friend of mine, Andrew finally find his place on the floor. I remember he used to struggle, trying to fit in with the guys that used to live here. They would tease him behind his back and I could imagine he must of known to an extent, making it very hard for him. The other day I saw him standing with two guys, one new and one who never used to come out of his room. They were chatting and laughing like they were the best of friends, so happy to be together. Just watching Andrew finally find a happy place amongst some people on our floor made me really happy too. 

I don't know if I've truly found my happy place yet, I probably never will, but I feel comfortable and welcome on the floor and it's always nice seeing a friendly floor 13 face when I'm out and about. It's like even though I don't know these people well, I still know them. 

Xo
Janice


2 comments:

  1. Hi Jannie

    I am so pleased that you are comfortable with your floor.... this is big! Comfort is good... and can be lasting. Looking forward to seeing you and Zak this upcoming weekend.
    Love
    Mommie

    ReplyDelete